The History of the Battle Ground Community United Methodist Church
The Methodist established a church in the Battle Ground, Washington area in 1879 at the southwest corner of NE 199th Street and 132nd Avenue. In those days this was known as Scotton’s Corner and is one-fourth mile east of the current Maple Grove Primary School. It was the first protestant church in the area and was served by a circuit-riding minister.
This one-room church building was destroyed by fire in 1910. The church met in the Maple Grove School while they rebuilt the church. The new church was constructed on the same spot as the previous building and was identical to the Maple Grove School building. The only difference was the addition of a wooden bell tower.
With the improvement of 132nd Avenue, which is today named Parkway, the church was moved in 1918 to the southwest corner of Main Street and Parkway in Battle Ground.
Battle Ground Community Church
On September 19th 1920 the members of the Methodist Church merged with the Christian Church located at First and Clark Streets in Battle Ground and became known as the Battle Ground Community Church. Although the two congregations resolved not to let their doctrines come between them, they sometimes did.
In 1932, Reverend Jimmy James, a Methodist minister on leave from the Methodist Pacific Northwest Conference for health reasons, was asked to come and serve this congregation. He did a great job of getting the congregation to grow until he had to step down because of his health in 1949.
After several other ministers the church found the right match in 1955 in the Reverend George Schubert, a pastor with a dream for expansion. On Father’s Day 1957 a ground breaking ceremony occurred. On Palm Sunday 1958 the congregation moved into the new building, which was built around the old building
On January 12, 1969 the congregation voted to become part of the United Methodist Church. This solved the problem that they had of finding a new pastor when one retired or moved away. At the Pacific Northwest Conference in Walla Walla, Washington, in June the Reverend Paul Graves was appointed as pastor of the Battle Ground Community United Methodist Church.
Since then the church has been served by:
Rev. Murray Hyde
Rev. Clyde Bachman
Rev. Dennis Magnuson
Rev. David Anderson
Rev. Denise Neuschwander
Rev. Juli Reinholz
Rev. Rachon Hanson
As the congregation approached the new millennium they met in small groups to identify the collective vision they had for accomplishing God’s plan for this church. They soon realized that the vision would require more land and a larger building. They purchased 10 acres in 2000 and on March 3, 2002 dedicated the present building at 10300 NE 199th Street about one mile west of the original.